One of the best aspect s
of the online world is the sense of connectivity it gives you, and that definitely applies to the vast and vibrant beauty blogging community. If you’re hoping to discover exciting new products you’ve never even dreamed about or you’re looking for a review of something you’ve had your eye on for a while, the bloggers are a great place to turn.
It’s still hard to beat a big, glossy fashion or beauty magazine when it comes to relaxing by the pool or in the airport, but the blogs have the glossies beat when it comes to keeping it current, casual and comprehensive. It’s hard to narrow it down, but here are 10 of my favorite beauty blogs, in no particular order:
- Musings of a Muse: This blog is fantastic for a number of reasons, but mainly because the Muse is incredibly thorough! If there’s a collection you’re curious about, chances are she’s seen it, swatched it, and has the pictures to prove it. Although the blog is based in the U.S., she regularly features products from both Europe and Asia, which is fun
and unusual. I also adore the informal, friendly tone and the clean, easy-to-navigate layout.
- Nouveau Cheap: A recent discovery of mine, it’s safe to say that I’m absolutely obsessed with this blog penned by “the Recessionista.” She scouts all of the usual suspects – drugstores, Target, Walmart, etc. – for the best deals on affordable makeup and beauty products.
Along with regular posts about coupons, sales, online promo codes and more, she also regularly takes pictures of the latest in-store displays and reviews and swatches products from lipstick and eyeshadow to shampoo and body spray. If you’re pinching pennies, you need to bookmark this site asap!
- Scrangie: Okay, so I have a soft spot for nail polish – it’s true. But did you know
that there are dozens – maybe even hundreds – of blogs dedicated to polish and polish alone? It’s true! And for an addict like me, it can get pretty overwhelming to sort through all of them.
Fortunately, Scrangie is the gold standard of polish blogs; if you only read one, make it this one.
Her pictures are always gorgeous, her manicures flawless, and
her descriptions both accurate and humorous.
- All Lacquered Up: …and if you have room for two polish blogs in your life – c’mon, you know you do! – add ALU to your bookmarks as well. ALU always has the inside scoop on the latest collections before they even hit stores, and the site will keep you up-to-date on celebrity nail trends and creative techniques (such as the “moon manicure”) th at you can try
- Clumps of Mascara: The best thing about this blog is its irreverent, down-to-earth tone. You really feel like you’re talking to a friend when you read one of Brittany’s posts! True to the name, Clumps reviews a lot of mascara – but there’ s more to the
site than that. I always look forward to her “Amor de Lacquer” and “FOTD” posts, as well as the ongoing series about coping with acne.
- The Next Best Thing to Going Shopping Yourself: Quite simply the best resource for checking out swatches online.
If you’re interested in a product but you have no idea how it will actually look on you, save yourself a trip to the store and visit Karla’s site instead. She regularly posts pictures of entire collections -yes, every single shade - shown on actual human skin, in natural light.
- Hey, Dollface!: This blog is based in Britain, which can be a bit frustrating at times for those of us who live Stateside, but I still like to visit regularly to check out products that I wouldn’t normally know about. I also adore the large pictures that accompany each post, which saves you the trouble of clicking to enlarge teeny thumbnails.
- Nadine Jolie: Not the most thorough blog when it comes to reviews and swatching, this is still a must-read because of the author’s beauty insider status. (Check out the various shots of her with celebs at swanky events!) You can also rest assured that she fully endorses the products she does feature, making them that much more special.
- The Art of Accessories: While the main focus of this blog is, indeed, fashion and accessories, there is also a great deal of well-written beauty content, making it an excellent and well-rounded read.
- Beauty411: Pretty standard beauty blog fare – product reviews, collection previews, celebrity features – but what really sets Beauty411 apart is its regular interview feature.
If you’ve ever wondered which makeup brushes Trish McEvoy recommends or whether Lucky editor Jean Godfrey-June actually uses all those products she rhapsodizes about in the pages of her magazine every month, look no further!
What are your favorite beauty blogs? Leave a link in the comments!