The way my skin
feels and looks is always at the mercy of the changing seasons. Oily in the summer, and especially dry
in the w
inter. No matter what, I’m constantly changing my routine, because sometimes, my daily dose of SPF and my trusty DDF Moisturizing Dew just isn’t going to cut it.
An amazing, yet little known, regimen for taking care of your skin, eliminating acne, and improving your skin as you age, is the medical facial.
I had my first medical facial a couple of months ago at Rita’s Institute for Beautiful Skin located in sunny Santa Monica, and went in again recently. Both experiences were terrific, and I’m definitely going back in for a couple more trips to clean up my skin.
Rita worked for Dr.
Howard Murad for a number of years at the Murad Medical Group and Dr. Ava Shamban before opening up her own office. Her clientele includes A-list celebs, including model Marissa Miller. The medi-spa also has a loyal following…clients that move away make trips back to Los Angeles just to see Rita!
See the Yelp reviews here and read for yourself!
One client writes, “There’s a real sense of clinical precision but with the luxury and ease of a spa.”
What is a Medical Facia
Medical facials are designed by dermatologists and performed by estheticians.
Most of the time, the products they use are only available in doctors’ offices, and not in regular spas.
- I settled down under a warm comforter and Rita put lotion and heated gloves on my hands.
- Rita first analyzes your skin before she does anything. Right away she could tell that I have a bad habit of picking at my skin.
And I’ve promised to stop this terrible habit, but habits are hard to break! Then she explains to me the medical facial process and what exactly she’s going to do to my skin.
- She begins the process by steaming my face for a few minutes to open up my pores.
- Then she exfoliates the skin via chemical exfoliation, e.g. a glycolic
- Next comes the torturous part: the extractions. According to her website, “the core of her treatments involves a special technique she learned in Hungary where she precisely focuses on extraction angles which eliminates the formation of scars and red marks.” I must say that she is very thorough in her extractions.
- After all the extractions, she puts some more stuff on my face, and then she zaps my skin with a wand, which gets rid of the bacteria.
It feels a little weird.
- After that she puts more stuff on my face, and I get pampered with a neck and shoulder massage.
- Finally, she covers my face with dry ice to seal up my pores.
Voila! 55 minutes later, my skin has never felt cleaner.
Rita sends me home with samples of SPF & facial cleanser for my skin.
Treatments start at $50. The European Cleansing Facial will set you back $170 and Rita’s Signature Treatment, $450.